May 21, 2009

decorating my nest

When we lived in our previous home I was all about the decorating. The house was a 1920's Craftsman Bungalow, and the wood floors and architectural features really inspired me. We lived in the home for 9 years and I finally had it completely decorated exactly how I loved it, just in time to sell it in 2008. I miss this house so much. I loved it because it was old and cozy and had a good soul.



Our beautiful new home is just that: a new home. We are the first owners, so what it lacks in character & charm, it makes up for in space, location, and is a blank canvas ooozing in decorating possibilities. The only problem is that I am having a difficult time finding design inspiration, until I found the Nester that is. The Nester has a blog, Nesting Place, that encourages women like me to decorate fearlessly. Her motto is "It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful". I have spent numerous days lurking in the home design blogs of these talented, inspiring ladies and have decided to tackle a few design dilemnas.


Design Dilemna #1


My old (as in bought it in my early 20's), dorm room style, little entertainment center in my Living Room. At this time a fabulous Wall Unit & Flatscreen TV are not in the budget. Therefore what to do with the one I have? I was inspired by Nancy @ Live, Love, Laugh to go ahead and spray paint this unit black. It will go great with my decor and wall color and if I leave off the outdated glass door it should look awesome. I will keep you posted. Once done it would look great adorned with a whimsical Quote Jar being given away over at The Lettered Cottage.


Design Dilemna # 2


Curtains for my living room. I have the wood slat blinds which I love, but I am so afraid to invest money in curtains. Should I go with valances, draperies, tie-backs? I really have no clue. I think what I need to do is follow the advice of The Nester and carry my swatches & paint chips with me and just find either a ready-made curtain or fabric that I love, and just play with it. If I keep an eye on my budget I can't go wrong. I know fabric will bring such life to these sterile rooms. I just need to take the leap.




Design Dilemna # 3

My backyard is awesome and big. The only problem is that our home was built just a year ago and this subdivision was built on farm land, therefore NO trees! Which is driving me insane. First order of business this summer is to plant some fast growing trees (is there such a thing?). I was inspired by a video by Kara @ Made 2 Create. She is just jumping in with the landscaping and going for it. Again, with no fear. Here is my big, blank canvas of a backyard.



So now I just need to take the cue from all of these creative ladies and get going with my projects. Hopefully I can add to my decor with some of the great giveaways over at The 3rd Annual Cottage Charm Giveaway. Check it out, you could win some great items too!

3 comments:

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

I ran right over to see your post after reading your sweet comment on my blog! The wall unit will look great in black! I find my self looking around the house and saying "hmmmm, how would that look in black?" Your previous home was beautiful and your new home will be, too. We did a big renovation on our "old" home and we are still trying to make it homey. I envy that gorgeous yard!I will come on by to see your progress!
~Nancy

Anonymous said...

it was very interesting to read. I want to quote your post in my blog. It can? And you et an account on Twitter?

Anonymous said...

You completed some good points there. I did a search on the theme and found the majority of persons will have the same opinion with your blog..