Apr 8, 2009

Over the Hill

Well, this is the year I turn 40. Yes, I was born in the "Summer of Love", the "Summer of '69". I have essentially lived half my life and have half to go. I'm in the middle and kinda liking it, yet still need to figure it out. The first half of my adult life has been Stephanie The Mom, or as I like to say, the Mominator. From the time I was 18 this is what I have known and all I have known. Yes I have worked, and yes I have a husband, but basically I am a Mom. What will I do when my little chickies fly the nest? My entire adult life has been dedicated to caring for them. And frankly this frightens me a bit.

At times I want to say I have done nothing with my life but be a mom. Then other times I want to say Wow! Look at what I have done! I have these 2 amazing creatures that I gave birth to and have raised and have been "so far, so good". I love the teenagers that they have become and can honestly say, "well done mom". Don't get me wrong they are not perfect, and neither am I. But they are happy, well adjusted, safe, intelligent, respectful, and loving. Not to mention they are frickin hilarious. Crackin me up every day.

Time has gone by so fast. I look at moms my age with little kids and I get teary-eyed. How the hell does the time fly by so fast? Why didn't I take more video? Why didn't I write it all down? Why can't I remember what his 6-year old voice sounds like? Why can't I recall her first word?? UGH! Come back little ones!

THEN........ I realize that when my daughter turns 18 I will be 42 years old. HELL YEA!! Wouldn't have it any other way. My life is at the half-way point, but it will be like a new beginning at the same time. I don't need to worry about a mid-life crisis, I can do what I want, and be "anew" Stephanie. Now I don't mean that I will suddenly put on a leather coat and climb onto a Harley, but I could if I wanted to. I will be the same old Stephanie, but with new challenges, experiences, freedoms, goals, dreams, and outlook on life. My husband better hold on and join me for the ride!!

Now I get it: "Over the Hill". I have climbed the hill. The journey was great up the hill, but I have reached the half way point of my life, and it is all downhill from here, and I plan to be sittin in the front seat, with my hands in the air, screaming and laughing the whole way down. WooHoo!!!!!!!!

0 comments: